Friday

Several Decades of Irons

What is it about irons that no matter how much you pay their lifetime is infuriatingly limited? I like this new Chi so-called Professional Iron that I just paid $75 for, but I have no illusions about its lasting longer than its 2-year warranty period. 


It may have 1700 wats, 300 steam holes and a 12-foot cord, but I will bet that my old Black and Decker travel iron will outlive it as it has outlived at least 6 others.

And that's not for lack of use. In-between all those others, B&D has always been there - sometimes for months and months while I tried to find the perfect iron - at least one that was within this regular person's budget.

Here is my beloved travel iron:


Yes, it only has 21 steam holes and the water tank only holds about half a cup of water, but the handle folds down for packing,  the cord is the longest I've ever seen, at 15 feet, and if you wonder why that's important, try using your regular iron in a hotel room.

I wouldn't make such a fuss if ironing wasn't such an important part of sewing. It's impossible to produce a high quality article without constant trips to the ironing board, and that's why professional tailors and seamstresses pay multiples of a thousand dollars for ironing equipment of this type:


I wish I could afford that!













No comments:

Post a Comment