Sunday

Design Your Own Hat Patterns

I have made several hats since I posted that last tutorial  - mostly prototypes using unbleached cotton (muslin).

All that practise has led to this very satisfactory model:


You can't tell but this hat has a lot of professional features, including a headband inside that can be used to make the crown adjustable. Or simply to hide the seam joining the brim to the crown.

The crown itself is made up of six triangles: three of one fabric and three of another. I did this for fun but it would be a nice way of using up fabric scraps.

Altogether I have used three different fabrics: two for the crown, one of which is the top of the brim and the other the underside, and a third fabric for the lining, the inner band and the ties.

I need to sew ties on all my hats because I live in a windy area. I will add a toggle stopper later.

Here is the inside view: 



These are the tutorials I'm using for learning how to design my own hat patterns.

(1) This one is in English:





(2) And this one is in Spanish:




And in case you're wondering, this is the hat that inspired me to make this kind of crown.

Copyright Lorenna Buck

There are lots of hat tutorials online, but very few with such professional lessons.

Thanks to these tutorials I have progressed in leaps and bounds in my hatmaking project.





No comments:

Post a Comment